The announcement was made that Stanislaus Zbyszko would return the following week and that Dr. B.F. Roller would be medically cleared for return in 3-4 weeks time. The second round of the tournament was introduced, as was the spokesman for Mr. Aberg. Mr. Aberg's spokesman explained that while the competition here in Virginia was solid, there was no where on earth that could produce a viable title threat in the Greco-Roman division. He further stated that when Aleksander Aberg came through on tour over the next month, he would prove that.
Greco-Roman Tournament: Night Two
1: Magnum T.A. defeated Ken Shamrock by pinfall in the 2nd fall following a surprise belly-to-belly suplex. Shamrock had dominated on points in the first fall and was well ahead when he attempted to put a belly-to-belly on Magnum, only to have it reversed. A rather frustrated Shamrock slapped away Magnum's hand and left the ring frustrated.
2. In a clinic of wrestling holds and stamina, Volk Han defeated Bas Ruten 2 falls to 1. Ruten started strong and took the first fall on points, but Han came back to take 2 straight falls. The 2 exhausted warriors embraced afterwards to the delight of the fans.
3. The Great Gama def Doug Gilbert via a hip roll slam in the first fall.
4. Steve Williams def Henry Irslinger in the first fall after a body suplex.
During intermission, the Great Gama (via his interpreter) challenges the spokesman for Mr. Aberg to have his "cowardly paper champion" fight Gama in a Catch as Catch Can Style match when he was in town. Gama followed up his challenge with a promise to take Aberg's title from him, regardless of what type of match they wrestled in.
5. Volk Han defeated Magnum T.A. after taking the first and second falls on points.
6. Great Gama defeated Steve Williams via disqualification in the first round. Gama had gotten his 3rd near fall when Williams threw him into the ropes and landed a lariat. After the referee called for the bell, Gama and Doc had to be separated by security and returned to their respective dressing rooms.
7. MAIN EVENT: Great Gama defeated Volk Han with a body lock and press in the first fall.
It was announced that Gama and Williams would meet again next week in a 2 of 3 falls match, which would be contested under the Catch as Catch Can style, not Greco-Roman.
The announcement was made that Mr. Aberg was confirmed for arrival in 2 weeks and would wrestle a series of non-title matches against some of the V.W.C.V. talent over his first 3 weeks, culminating in his Title Defense against Great Gama at the end of his tour. Stanislaus Zbyszko was cleared to wrestle but would not be here tonight due to "personal reasons" and B.F. Roller was expected back in 3 weeks.
(kayfabe note: beginning this card, matches will be noted "GR" or "CCC" for Greco-Roman or Catch as Catch Can.)
1. (CCC) Doug Gilbert def Ken Shamrock via reverse decision when Shamrock would not release the Ankle Lock after Gilbert had submitted. The referee gave Shamrock a 5 count to release and then had to call for security to help pull Shamrock off of Gilbert. Shamrock seemed rather upset with himself for losing his cool again.
2. (GR) Volk Han def Bas Ruten in the second fall with a back slam and leg trap. Ruten had narrowly taken the first fall on points, and the match was tied on points in the second when Han struck quickly after a rope break and caught Ruten with the Pin. The fans gave the warriors another standing ovation as Ruten raised Holk's hand in victory.
3. (CCC) Ilio DiPaolo def Buff Bagwell following a series of dropkicks. Bagwell took the house mic after the match and railed against the "boring and lame style of old-man wrestling" and challenged "ANY wrestler to meet him next week in a Posedown and REAL wrestling match" before storming off to the boos of the crowd.
4. (CCC) Kurt Angle def Henry Irslinger with the Ankle Lock.
5. (CCC) Nikolai Volkoff def Magnum T.A. following a Backbreaker Drop.
6. (GR) Strangler Lewis def B. Brian Blair via Pin in the first fall with a 3/4 Nelson and crotch lift.
7. (CCC) MAIN EVENT: 2 OUT OF 3 FALLS: Great Gama def Steve Williams 2-0 taking the first fall with a waistlock and heel trip, the second with his patented body lock and press. The good Doctor seemed a bit chagrined after the second fall and shook Gama's hand after. Gama and Williams exited the ring together and appeared deep in conversation.
It was announced that Ken Shamrock would be suspended for the following 4 weeks and that Doug Gilbert had only received a minor muscle pull and was expected back in 1-2 weeks.
The spokesman for Aleksander Aberg was on-hand tonight to remind all the "great competitors of the VWCV that Mr. Aberg would be here next week and would need to be afforded the respect that the Greco-Roman World Champion deserved". He also announced that "in an effort to be fair to all the great competitors in this area, Mr. Aberg has selected 3 men AT RANDOM to compete against in his work out mate he's prior to facing the great A-Rab, Gama!! The 3 lucky competitors who will get to experience the work of an artist in the ring would be: the first week, B BRIAN BLAIR!!! week 2, Dr BF ROLLER!!! and for the 3rd week, BUFF BAGWELL!!!" (The fans don't seem overly receptive to the list).
A pre-recorded message from Ken Shamrock was played, with Ken apologizing for his actions over the last few week, citing personal reasons for his behavior and reassuring the Virginia crowd that up on his return, the fans would see a different Ken Shamrock.
1. (GR) In preparation for his upcoming match with the World Champion, Brian Blair requested a Greco-Roman match here tonight and Ilio Dipole agreed to match up. Blair did surprisingly well, even winning the second fall on points, but could not actually put away the Italian, getting pinned in the closing moments of the 3rd fall with a quick go behind and roll-up.
2. (CCC) Strangler Lewis and Kurt Angle wrestled to a 20 minute TLD in an amazing display of hold and counter hold wrestling. The defensive prowess of both wrestlers was on full display as only 3 near falls were scored for the entire match. The disappointed fans chanted "5 more minutes" for almost a full 5 minutes before subduing down and accepting this was a draw.
Buff Bagwell (accompanied by Stanislaus Zbyszko?!?!) came out and challenged "anyone in the building" to a posedown and REAL wrestling match."
3. Great Gama (w/ Steve Williams) came down with his Arabian Clubs and accepted Bagwell's Challenge. The fans were wildly behind Gama and he was declared the the winner of the posedown. The wrestling match was what Bagwell described as an "anything goes" match. Bagwell took advantage and used every underhanded trick in his repertoire, including multiple trips outside the ring and a chair. Gama, who seemed confused by the general lack of structure and rules initially, finally seemed to lose his temper and dismantled Bagwell, leaving him bleeding outside the ring after a wicked head post outside the ring. Oddly the referee (first time we have seen this referee now that you mention it) immediately called for the bell and awarded the match to Bagwell, who was practically carried to the back by Zbyszko. Gama and Williams questioned the referee repeatedly as he got out of the ring and headed to the back quickly.
4. (CCC) Bas Rutten def Nikolai Volkoff with a series of wicked palm strikes.
5. (GR) Volk Han def Magnum TA 2 falls to 1. Magnium pulled a surprising 2nd round nod on points, but Volk came back in the 3rd to get the pin in the first few seconds.
6. (CCC) Steve Williams (w/ Great Gama) def Henry Irslinger with an Oklahoma Stampede.